Thursday 18 October 2012

Mount Keen

The weather forecast predicted showery rain, light winds, and low cloud, but as I set off to ascend Mt Keen it was the week’s preceding downpours that were upper most in my thinking.  Heavy rain, swollen rivers, and flooded roads had been the main entertainment during my drive to Braemar the previous evening. Originally I’d planned to add to my haul of Monroes with a lightening raid on The Devil's Point via the Derry Lodge route, however I'd altered my objective after reasoning that I’d rather save that particular summit for better conditions; preferably winter conditions with the possibility of a night in a snow shelter enroute.
Nevertheless, walking in via the Glen Tanar route initially seemed a mistake, because the track was ideal for a mountain bike approach.  However, my slower pace through the pine forests and moorland was soon rewarded with better views of the surrounding autumn scenery and wildlife.



I didn't linger for long at the cold, wet, and windy summit, but as I reached the track in the Glen during my descent I met a luckier lone walker who was destined to make the summit in the mid afternoon sunshine.

When I finally reached the car park again, seven and a half hours after setting off, my feet felt well and truly pounded, but at least I'd achieved my first new Monroe summit of the year, and driving back to Braemar Youth Hostel I was comforted by the thought that if I maintain this rapid rate of progress I should finish the Monros in 2041.
Jago

No comments:

Post a Comment