Thursday 6 May 2010

Welsh Mayday Week-end

Jago was the first down to Wales a day ahead of the rest of us and had a quick sprint up Snowdon and back after sampling the tea in the new cafe.
By Sunday me and Nick and Christine had joined him at a strangely quiet Ynys Ettwys and with a cold wind blowing a sheltered sunny crag was needed. We found that at Craig Cau near Bettws-y-Coed unfortunately I did not find any rock shoes in my rucksack. Jago led the 3 star Jingling Wall (HS 4b) and I followed wearing Jago's big mountain boots which were half a size too big but better than my bendy walking boots. The route gave two good sustained pitches. Meanwhile Christine and Nick climbed Long Climb Direct a 2 star severe.

 Christine on Long Climb Direct......

....and on Jingling Wall

Jago attempted to lead Central route 2 but was defeated by route finding difficulties and lack of gear while Christine and Nick climbed Jingling Wall.
On Sunday Jago had to return home and a sprinkling of white stuff on the hills convinced us that another sunny crag was required so Christine, Nick and me headed for Holyhead Mountain where I watched while they climbed Tempest and Tension.

Christine topping out on Tempest

No comments:

Post a Comment